Roles and Responsibilities
All club officers and captains are elected at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and must report at the next AGM. The responsibilities of each role are as follows...
- Chair committee and club meetings and act as senior office for the club, in consultation with the committee.
- Provide direction to the club, and to act as a mediator in the event of disagreements arise between club officers or members.
- Arranging and taking minutes for the club annual general meeting.
- Act as the focal point for club communications and to deal with any external correspondence.
- Ensure the club’s governing rules are documented and kept up to date.
- Maintain the integrity and accurate reporting of the club’s financial position.
- Responsible for the management of the club’s finances in accordance with the decisions of the committee.
- Maintain the club web site and email distribution lists e.g. of club members.
- Ensure that the web site has up to date and relevant content for both club members and prospective members.
- Responsible for maintaining the club’s chess equipment (sets, boards, clocks, trophies etc) in good working order.
- Maintain an inventory of the club’s physical assets.
Note – this role is currently carried out by the webmaster.
- Retain and organize club records so that they can respond to search requests from club members and the general public.
- Maintain the history-related content on the web-site.
- Continue to search for any chess history related to West London Chess Club and process accordingly.
- Attend the annual league fixture planning committee.
- Contact opposing captains to confirm arrangements for each scheduled match.
- Muster a team of club members to play in each match and decide on the board order.
- Decide the board colours of the match, typically by toss of coin with the opposing team captain.
- Be familiar with the rules of chess in order to act as joint arbiter on any disputes that may arise.
- Report the match results to the league and to the club webmaster in a timely manner.
The documents described as large in the list below are scanned documents, which are in the order of 1-2 megabytes in size. Depending on your internet connection, these documents could take quite long to download.